Your first time away from home

 

Your first time away from home

JAINEEMar 09 2022

'Sans Home’

I had already started getting shivers when my parents planned my first outdoor religious camp at Gajpantha. It was supposed to be a spiritual cum adventure camp for children aged 10 to 15 with the purpose of inculcating religious values in children in a fun way. That’s what attracted my parents. “Jainee will become more independent”, said Papa. Mom nodded, staring at me with a loving gaze.

Probably she was trying to study my face and the fears associated with this idea. I attempted to look brave but I know I was really really scared! Finally, I made up my mind and started packing my bag. Mom carefully put all my requisites (things which I may have missed) including my favorite biscuits and dry fruits. This was the first time I would be all alone after all without my parents, especially mom. Eventually the day came and I waved goodbye to my parents with a smile. ‘Mission Alone’ had begun and I was wondering what it was going to be. In the bus I was fine with lots of friends surrounding me and singing songs and playing some bus games. On reaching our destination we were shifted to our rooms with other two friends sharing a single room. They were cosy and comfortable with soft beds and pillows. Our first day started with some educational and religious game which was a group game. We needed to make role plays on important life values and amazingly all the groups came up with such thought provoking ideas. Lunch was delicious and the menu was keeping in mind our tastes and preferences. Not predicting it, I could devour my favorites like pasta, noodles, pizza along with my favorite vegetables and parathas. The menu was an excellent blend of traditional Gujarati and continental cuisines.

The next game that impressed me was a quiz which I won. Having keen interest in my religion, I almost had known all the answers to the questions asked. We did zip-lining and bungee jumping too along with boating in a nearby serene lake. There we were given detailed information on creatures in the ecosystem and their religious contexts. Times I spent there away from home were thrilling and enjoyable. I did miss mom and dad on several occasions especially at night. I missed their gentle caresses while I sleep. The caretakers and volunteers were very supportive and kind and gave us every bit of attention needed. It helped me overcome my loneliness as well as home sickness.

I learnt many values like interacting with a variety of people, gaining additional knowledge on our religion, becoming independent and sociable and most importantly taking care of myself. My first time away from home started with unknown fears but ended with gratitude and loads of self-learning. I also learnt one more important thing- Parents are irreplaceable and home is heaven!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Care Of The Loved Ones Author : STHUTHI TULSIDAS AMIN

A SWEET DREAM Author : SHRIYANS SACHITH

My Experience With A Absent Minded Person Author : STHUTHI TULSIDAS AMIN